Need to style your new home? One of our favourite local interior designers, Interni Design, has provided all the tips and tricks to help you out.
First things first, make a wish list. It will help you identify your needs and articulate what you really want when speaking to your home consultant about the layout of your new home.
Things to consider:
- How many people will be living in the house and for how long?
- What kind of space do you need – how many bedrooms, bathrooms and what is the desired size of your living space or backyard?
- If you’ve already experienced owning a home and know what you’d like in your new home, chat about it with your home consultant.
Now for the interior design…
It is important to identify what makes you feel happy and relaxed in your home, or what your bugbear was in your previous home’s interior, so that you can have what you really want this time around.
Put these positive feelings into the space through colour, styling and decorating – it’s exactly what the experts do.
- Collect photos to make a mood or inspiration board or pin your ideas on a Pinterest board for future reference.
- Colours: find the colour scheme that gives you the theme/style you’re looking for. Choosing colours for your new home needs considerable attention. Colours create impressions, emotion and style as well as highlighting the decor. Dark or light colours? The experts used to say dark walls made a room look smaller. If you know what you’re doing, that isn’t the case – dark rooms can make a room appear bigger. When not using a design expert, it is always safest to select colours from the same palate. Choose a neutral colour like white or grey as your base, and then match your feature colours and decor.
- Feature walls: feature walls are great in living areas or bedrooms. Choose wallpapers or items like picture frames or hangings to cover a wall. A feature wall will give your room a sense of added design. Don’t be afraid to use textures, 3D panels or art pieces but if you’re an amateur decorator, keep it simple.
- Furniture: select furniture according to your taste and lifestyle needs. When deciding on fabrics consider durability, look and feel. If you have young children, it is a good idea to go for leather lounges over fabric for easy cleaning! Ultimately, your furniture should be fit for purpose. Try not to impulse buy – you may be stuck with it for a few years to come.
- Flooring: it is important that your floor creates atmosphere – it is one of the first things your guests see when they walk into your home. Consider the basic floor types – boards, carpet, tiles – and make choices based on each room type.